Clayton Homes was part of a slum clearance project in 1952 prompted by the donation of land to the Housing Authority of the City of Houston (HACH) by the Clayton family. It was the first public housing project in the United States built on privately donated land. The property is located on a 21.35 acre tract of land along Buffalo Bayou in the southwest corner of Houston�s Second ward, approximately five blocks from the new baseball stadium which is presently under construction.
The existing development consisted of: 332 units of one, two, three and four bedroom units distributed among 47 two story buildings; an administration building; a community building; a laundry building; a day care center; and a covered basketball pavilion.
In 1997 MCCM Architects was retained by HACH to substantially renovate the entire development. MCCM had successfully transformed Wilmington Apartments, another HACH project, two years earlier.
The renovation program, implemented in eight phases over ten years, included substantial interior and exterior renovation to the �barracks � style buildings, creation of new interior streets and parking, creation of defensible spaces, recreational amenities, new trash enclosures, improved vehicular and pedestrian circulation systems, improved drainage, and the construction of new laundry, administration and community activity building. The development also incorporates space for the City of Houston hike and bike trail along Buffalo Bayou.
MCCM responsibilities included programming, architecture, engineering, landscaping, interior design, graphics design, construction administration phase services.